Non- medical prescribing (NMP) is the term used to describe any prescribing completed by a healthcare professional other than a doctor or dentist. NMP has demonstrated patient care and economic benefits. Consequently, investing in NMP is seen as ‘an investment to save’ and encouraging NMP capacity is seen as a vital upskilling priority and features as a key enabler in the planning and delivery of new care models and transforming care.
NMP training can support role and career development by enabling practitioners to take on greater responsibilities for managing patient care. NMP enhanced Patient care by supporting patients timely access to treatment with medicines, enabling choice whilst helping to reduce waiting time, reduce hospital admission and maximising the wider skills of the healthcare team
Funding is available to those interested in becoming an NMP and we can offer up to £1,850 for tuition fees. This funding has been made available by Health Education England. Please note if you are an FCP you need to have completed the FCP pathway before you can apply for funding.
How to apply
- Choose University
- Contact your Place NMP lead (Previously CCG NMP Lead)
- Complete and sign the application form (requires approval by line manager, supervisor assessor and Place NMP lead)
- *Complete pre-course numeracy assessment (Place NMP lead will provide access)
- **Send completed application form to [email protected] for funding approval
- Upon receipt of funding approval letter, return application form to chosen University
*If self-funding, you do not need to complete step 4 as part of the application, but there may be other requirements to check with your preferred university
**If self-funding, you do not need to complete step 5.
Pharmacists are able to access the NMP offer.
Please ensure your DBS is up-to-date (completed within the last 3 years) before applying.